CS302 Final Grades
James S. Plank
I anticipate the breakdown of grading to be:
- Exams -- 45 percent. The exams are weighted equally.
- Homeworks (i.e. your lab grades) -- 45 percent.
- Lab and class attendance: 10 percent. This is calculated as follows: You may have two
unexcused absences from class. You may have zero unexcused absences from lab. After
that, each unexcused absence from class or lab results in a 2 percent deduction
up to a total of 10 percent.
Exams are handled as follows. Your score is given to you as a number. On the exam cover
page, I will tell you the scores that correspond to A, B, C, D and F. When it comes time
to calculate final grades, I will convert the exam-scores to final-grade-scores as follows:
- If you received an A, then suppose your exam score was s, the minimum A score
was Amin, and the maximum A score was Amax. Your
90 + 10 * (s - Amin) / ( Amax- Amin).
- If you received an B, then suppose your exam score was s, the minimum B score
was Bmin, and the maximum B score was Bmax. Your
80 + 10 * (s - Bmin) / ( Bmax- Bmin).
- If you received an C, then suppose your exam score was s, the minimum C score
was Cmin, and the maximum C score was Cmax. Your
70 + 10 * (s - Cmin) / ( Cmax- Cmin).
- If you received an D, then suppose your exam score was s, the minimum D score
was Dmin, and the maximum D score was Dmax. Your
60 + 10 * (s - Dmin) / ( Dmax- Dmin).
- If you received an F, then suppose your exam score was s,
and the maximum F score was Fmax. Your
60 * s / Fmax.
The grading scale is as follows:
- A+: 95 - 100
- A: 90 - 95
- A-: 87 - 90
- B+: 83 - 87
- B: 80 - 83
- B-: 77 - 80
- C+: 73 - 77
- C: 70 - 73
- C-: 67 - 70
- D+: 63 - 67
- D: 60 - 63
- D-: 57 - 60
- F: 0-57