CS494 -- Lecture Notes
Old Scripting Notes
These are old lecture notes on things that you may find useful for
shell scripting, testing and graphing.
Class Lecture Notes for 2018
- 8/23/2018: Pointers on giving research presentations.
- 8/28: Topcoder SRM 640, D1, 250-Pointer - ChristmasTreeDecoration. There is commentary here on the presentation and slides.
- 8/29: Topcoder SRM 639, D1, 250-Pointer - AliceGame.
- 8/31: Topcoder SRM 639, D1, 500-Pointer - BoardFolding
- 8/31 and 9/4: A-Star
- 9/4: Topcoder SRM 641, D1, 250-Pointer - TrianglesContainOrigin: Presentation and code.
- 9/11 & 9/13: Going over Lab 1: The File Allocation Table
- 9/13: Topcoder SRM 614, D1, 250-Pointer - MinimumSquare: I did the presentation of the problem, but
didn't write code, even though I wanted to. We'll see if I do so later. The notes here have code.
- Somewhere around here: Fixing photos with Gimp
- 9/18 and some of 9/20: PageRank
- 9/20 and 9/25: B-Trees and the B-Tree Lab
- 9/27: Topcoder SRM 647, D1, 500-Pointer - CtuRobots
- 9/27 through 10/4: Four Interesting Network Flow Problems
- 10/9: The Plank Random Choosing Algorithm.
- 10/9 & 10/11: Bloom Filters.
- 10/11 & 10/16: The Floyd-Warshall Algorithm, and Instruction-Level Parallelism. I stop before the All-Pairs flow example. I'll return to it later.
- 10/16 & 10/18: Min-Hash. An interesting use of hashes, and
when theoretical elegance takes a back seat to performance.
- 10/23 & 10/30: Jgraph -- I finally updated the lecture notes!!
- 10/30 & 11/2: The basics of erasure coding. Here is reference material:
- 11/6 and 11/13: SIMD Instructions
- 11/13, 11/15 and 11/20: Galois Field arithmetic for erasure coding. The following are good resources:
- 11/20: The Rabin-Karp pattern matching algorithm. I have not written up lecture notes
for this one, but I will.
- 11/27: Edmonds General Matching Algorithm
- The DSN Paper which shows how the general matching algorithm applies to XOR-based Erasure Codes
The remaining dates are when I gave the lectures in 2017.
11/21 and 11/28:
Multiplying Matrices, and the Impact of Memory
11/30: Multiplying Matrices with Instruction Level Parallelism
11/30: I also went over Mario Blaum's EVENODD coding scheme, Liping Xiang's paper on performing recovery with fewer disk operations, and
my paper on doing
erasure coding with fewer XOR's than you'd think..