(Updated 12, 2015)
If I have agreed to write a letter of recommendation to you,
here is what you need to do:
Here is the contact information that you should use:
- Fill out every part of the form that you can. That includes
my name, address, fax, title, etc. Everything but the actual
recommendations and my signature.
- If the letter is to be mailed by US mail,
make sure you give me an envelope filled out with everything --
address, my return address -- and make sure it is stamped.
- Please send me a copy of your resume. It can me make your recommendation stronger.
- I will detail your performance in class. That includes your grades and your rankings
relative to the class.
- If I'm filling out 4+ recommendations for you, please be aware that it takes time.
Yes, I typically write just one letter, but recommendations require individual forms,
plus double-checking that I have everything correct.
I want to help you succeed, so I am happy to do it, but it takes time away from my other
- I am always interested in how you are doing, so please let me know who accepted you,
and where you are going. I like to know.
- Title: Professor
- Department: EECS Deaprtment
- University: University of Tennessee
- Address: 401 Min Kao Building, Knoxville, TN 37996
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~jplank
- Phone: 865-974-4397
- Fax: 865-974-4404