I received a BS in Biology and Computer Science from Loyola
College in Maryland and a PhD in Bioinformatics and
Computational Biology from Iowa State University (ISU). Upon graduation, I received a ISU Research
Excellence award and the university-wide Zaffrano Prize for Graduate
Research. Starting after graduation in 2007 I spent the first ten
years of my career as a faculty member at the University of Notre Dame, and now am an Associate Professor at the University of
Tennessee (Knoxville). My research interests include genome-focused bioinformatics,
parallel and distributed computing, and the intersection of biological applications
and second and
third-gen sequencing. Nearly all of my research has been funded by the
National Institute of Health (NIH).
Research group @UTK
- Katrina Schlum (third year GST PhD)
- Zhixiu Lu (first year PhD)
- Rachel Offutt (first year MS)
- Abigal Prosice (undergrad researcher)
Research group @ND
- Gabe Wright (third year CSE MS/PhD)
- Shenglong Zhu (fourth year, CSE MS/PhD, co-advised by
- David Molik (third year IBMS PhD, co-advised with
Group Alumni (largely Notre Dame)
- Will Markley (2015-2018; undergraduate)
- Mara Staines (2016-2017; undergraduate)
- Olivia Choudhury (2012-2017; PhD now postdoctoral
researcher at IBM)
- Caleb Reinking (CRC); now CRC development lead,
former programmer and lead programmer for VectorBase
- Xuanli (Lexi) Li (2013-2016; undergraduate)
- Chris Ray (2014-2016; undergraduate)
- RJ Nowling (2014-2016 PhD; co-advised by Mary Ann McDowell)
- Kim Ngo (2013-2015; undergraduate co-advised by Patricia Clark)
- Lauren Assour (2009-2015; PhD Computer Science and Engineering, Naughton Fellow)
- Colin Teberg (2013-2015; MS Computer Science and Engineering)
- Irena Lanc (2008-2014; PhD Computer Science and Engineering)
- Erliang Zeng
(former Managing directior, Bioinformatics Core; now at University
- Wei Zhang (2009-2014; PhD Computer Science and Engineering)
- Andrew Thrasher (2008-2013; PhD Computer Science and Engineering)
- Rory Carmichael (2009-2012; former analyst; 2013 MS)
- Andrew Rider (2008-2013; PhD Computer Science and Engineering, coadvised by Nitesh Chawla)
- Brian Kachmarck (2009-2012; undergraduate)
- Paul Baranay (2011-2012; BS undergraduate; NSF graduate fellow)
- Shawn O'Neil (2009-2012; PhD Computer Science and Engineering)
- Allison Regier (2007-2011; PhD Computer Science and Engineering)
- Michael Olson (2008-2009; MS Computer Science and Engineering)
- Benjamin Drda (2008-2010; undergraduate honors thesis)
Recent Professional Activities
News archive (pre twitter 2014 and after)
- New R21 arrives with Emrich as PI to look at genome structure in
- Rhodnius genome (kissing bug) published in PNAS. Continues to be
one of the most read papers at UND according to ResearchGate.
- Lauren Assour successfully defends her PhD thesis. Congrats Lauren!!
- Paper on incipient speciation in Rhagaletis published in
- Two flagship papers from the Anopheles genome consortium published
in Science. Aaron Steele (introgression)
and Lauren Assour (synteny) key contributors. Emrich co-led the second
paper on the gambiae complex with Matt Hahn and Nora Besansky.
- Emrich and Besansky receive an NIH R21 to improve the genome of a neglected
- Aaron Steele received a ISMB travel award to present work related to
R21. Congrats Aaron!
- Olivia Choudary and Nick Hazekamp present their work at CCGrid. Congrats!
- Emrich and others receive an internal $100K grant (inc. cost share)
to purchase 6 high memory machines for bioinformatics.
- Novel virus discovered by Emrich and characterized by collaborators
published in PLoS ONE.
- Shanw O'Neil's paper on expression differences under climate change
published in Molecular Ecology.