Select Recent Papers and Reports
by Bruce J. MacLennan
See my Research Page for
additional information on my research programme and for papers
more than ten years old.
- “Neural Networks, Learning Algorithms, and Intelligence,”
invited for Gordon Burghardt, Irene Pepperberg, Chuck Snowdon,
& Tom Zentall (Eds.), APA Handbook of Comparative
Psychology, publication planned for 2016.
- “Engineering Inspiration: Enhancing Scientific Creativity
through Image Flows,” in Andrew M. Connor and Stefan Marks
(Eds.), Creative Technologies for Multidisciplinary
Applications, Hershey: IGI Global, 2016, ch. 13, pp.
- Brasford, David, Smith, Jared M., Connor, R. Joseph,
MacLennan, Bruce J., Holleman, Jeremy. “The Impact of Analog
Computational Error on an Analog Boolean Satisfiability
International Symposium for Circuits and Systems 2016,
Montreal, Canada, May 22–25, 2016.
- “Ancient Intuition — Modern Science,” in Andrea Blackie
& John H. Spencer (Eds.), The Beacon of Mind: Reason
and Intuition in the Ancient and Modern World, Param
Media, 2015, pp. 219–235.
- “Living Science: Science as an Activity of Living
Beings,” Progress in Biophysics & Molecular Biology,
Special issue on Life Sciences, Mathematics, and
Phenomenological Philosophy, 119, 3, (2015), 410–419,
published online Aug. 11, 2015. DOI:
- “The Morphogenetic Path to Programmable Matter,” Proceedings
of the IEEE, 103, 7 (July 2015), 1226–1232. DOI:
10.1109/JPROC.2015.2425394 [preprint (pdf)]
- “Coordinating Massive Robot Swarms,” International
Journal of Robotics Applications and Technologies, 2,
2 (July-December 2014), 1–19. Appeared in print in July 2015.
10.4018/IJRAT.2014070101 [preprint (3MB pdf)]
- “Cognitive Modeling: Connectionist Approaches,” in James
D. Wright (editor-in-chief), International
Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences,
2nd edition, Vol 4. Oxford: Elsevier, 2015, pp. 84–89.
New edition of previous article.
- “Ethical Treatment of Robots and the Hard Problem of
Robot Emotions,” International Journal of Synthetic
Emotions, 5 (2014), 1, pp. 10–18. Special issue,
“Introduction to Turing, Part I.” DOI:
- “The Promise of Analog Computation,” International
Journal of General Systems, 43 (2014), 7, pp.
- “Analog Computation,” Encyclopedia of
Complexity and System Science, ed. by Robert A. Meyers
et al., Springer, in press. Revision of earlier article.
- “Field Computation in Natural and Artificial
Intelligence,” Encyclopedia of Complexity and System
Science, 2nd Ed., ed. by Robert A. Meyers et al.,
Springer, in press. Revision of earlier article.
- “Cognition in Hilbert Space,” Behavioral and Brain
Sciences, 36 (2013), 3, pp. 296–7. DOI:
- “Embodied Computation: Applying the Physics of
Computation to Artificial Morphogenesis,” Parallel
Processing Letters, 22, 3 (2012), p. 1240013. DOI:
- Stepney, S., Diaconescu, A., Doursat, R., Giavitto,
J.-L., Kowaliw, T., Leyser, O., MacLennan, B., Michel, O.,
Miller, J. F., Nikolic, I., Spicher, A., Teuscher, C., Tufte,
G., Vico, F. J. & Yamamoto, L. (2012). “Gardening
Cyber-Physical Systems.” In Unconventional Computation and
Natural Computation 2012, Orleans, France, September
2012. LNCS 7445, pp. 237–238. Springer, 2012.
- “Homunculus’ Quest for a Body,” Goethe’s Faust and Cultural Memory: Comparatist Interfaces,
edited by Lorna Fitzsimmons. Bethlehem, PA: Lehigh University
- “Molecular Coordination of Hierarchical Self-Assembly,”
invited for Nano
Communication Networks Journal, available
online 7 February 2012. DOI:
10.1016/j.nancom.2012.01.004. See also “Molecular
Coordination of Hierarchical Self-Assembly,” Technical Report
UT-CS-10-662, Nov. 15, 2010 [pdf
- “Embodied Computation:
Applying the Physics of Computation to Artificial
of the Satellite Workshops of UC 2011, TUCS Lecture
Notes No. 14, June 2011, pp. 9–20.
- “Artificial Morphogenesis as an Example of Embodied
Journal of Unconventional Computing 7, 1–2 (2011), pp. 3–23. [corrected proof]
- “Introduction: Computation and Nanotechnology,” Theoretical
and Technological Advancements in Nanotechnology and
Molecular Computation: Interdisciplinary Gains,
Hershey, NJ: IGI Global, 2011.
- “Protophenomena and their Physical Correlates,” invited
for Journal of Cosmology,
14 (April–May, 2011), pp. 4516–4525. Special issue on
consciousness edited by Sir Roger Penrose, FRS, University of
Oxford, and Stuart Hameroff, M.D.
Reprinted in Consciousness
and the Universe: Quantum Physics, Evolution, Brain &
Mind, ed. Roger Penrose & Stuart Hameroff,
Cosmology Science Publishers, 2011.
- “A Formal Model of Universal Algorithmic Assembly and
Molecular Computation,” Int’l.
Journ. Nanotechnology and Molecular Computation 2, 3 (July–Sept. 2010),
pp. 55–67. [proof copy]
- “Morphogenesis as a Model for Nano Communication,”
invited for Nano
Communication Networks Journal 1, 3 (2010), 199–208.
[pdf (500 KB)] doi:10.1016/j.nancom.2010.09.007
- “Bodies — Both Informed and Transformed: Embodied
Computation and Information Processing,” Information and Computation:
Essays on Scientific and Philosophical Understanding of
Foundations of Information and Computation, ed. by
Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic and Mark Burgin, World Scientific
Series in Information Studies, Vol. 2, Singapore: World
Scientific Publishing, 2011, pp. 225–253. Invited. [pdf (1.2 MB)].
- “The U-machine: A Model of Generalized Computation,” International Journal of
Unconventional Computing 6, 3–4 (2010), pp. 265–283.
[pdf (167 KB)]
- “Models and Mechanisms for Artificial Morphogenesis,” Natural Computing,
Springer series, Proceedings in Information and Communications
Technology (PICT) 2, ed. by F. Peper, H. Umeo, N. Matsui, and
T. Isokawa, Tokyo: Springer, 2010, pp. 23–33. Invited.
- “Models and Mechanisms for Artificial Morphogenesis,” Fourth International Workshop on
Natural Computing (IWNC 2009), Himeji Japan, September
23–25, 2009. Slides [pdf (10
MB)] for invited presentation.
- “Configuration and Reconfiguration of Complex Systems by
Artificial Morphogenesis,” Reconfigurable Systems Workshop 2009: Discovery
Challenge Thrust, Santa Fe NM, July 20–22, 2009.
Sponsored for AFOSR. Slides for invited presentation [pdf (8 MB)].
- “A Model of Embodied Computation for Artificial
Morphogenesis,” slides [pdf (5
MB)] for Keynote Address, IEEE Alife 2009, Mar. 30 – Apr. 2, 2009,
Nashville, TN. A video of this presentation is available
- “A Model of Embodied Computation Oriented Toward
Artificial Morphogenesis,” slides [pdf
(1 MB)] for invited talk, The Science and Philosophy of Unconventional
Computing (SPUC09), Mar. 23–25, 2009, Cambridge
University, Cambridge, UK. They are mostly the same as slides
26–60 of the Alife 2009 Keynote.
- “Super-Turing or Non-Turing? Extending the Concept of
Computation,” The International Journal of Unconventional
3–4 (2009), Special Issue on Future Trends in
Hypercomputation, pp. 369–87. Unedited draft [pdf].
- “Editorial Preface: Computation and Nanotechnology,” International Journal of
Nanotechnology and Molecular Computation 1, 1 (Jan. 2009). An
unedited draft of some material for this preface is in
“Computation and Nanotechnology: Toward the Fabrication of
Complex Hierarchical Structures,” UT EECS Dept. TR
UT-CS-08-629, Aug. 22, 2008 [pdf].
- “Challenges of Embodied Artificial Intelligence and
Robotics,” invited for The
ITEA Journal of Test and Evaluation (International
Test and Evaluation Association), 29-4 (Dec. 2008 / Jan. 2009). See also
“Test and Evaluation Challenges of Embodied Artificial
Intelligence and Robotics,” UT EECS Dept. TR UT-CS-08-628,
Aug. 22, 2008 [pdf].
- “A Protophenomenological Analysis of Synthetic Emotion in
Robots,” UT EECS Dept. TR UT-CS-08-623, Aug. 6, 2008 [pdf]. Unedited draft of
“Robot React, but Can They Feel?” (Handbook of Research on Synthetic Emotions and
Sociable Robotics: New Applications in Affective Computing
and Artificial Intelligence, edited by Jordi
Vallverdú and David Casacuberta, Hershey, NJ: IGI Global,
2009, pp. 133–53).
- “Aspects of Embodied Computation: Toward a Reunification
of the Physical and the Formal,” UT EECS Dept. TR
UT-CS-08-610, March 6, 2008; revised Aug. 6, 2008 [pdf]. See also slides [pdf] from a related
presentation “Embodiment and Non-Turing Models of Computation”
2008 North American Conference on Computing and Philosophy:
The Limits of Computation (The International Association for Computing
and Philosophy, Bloomington, IN, July 10–12,
- “Embodied Computing,” invitation-only NSF
Workshop on Molecular Communication and Biological
Communications Technology, Arlington, VA, Feb. 20–1,
2008. Slides for presentation [pdf (2.1MB)]
- “Aesthetics in Software Engineering,” Encyclopedia of
Information Science and Technology, 2nd Ed., ed.
by Mehdi Khosrow-Pour, IGI Global, 2008, Vol. I.
- “Field Computation in Natural and Artificial
Intelligence,” invited by Section Editor for Computational and
Theoretical Nanoscience, Encyclopedia of Complexity and
System Science, ed. by Robert A. Meyers et al.,
Springer, 2009, part 6, entry 199, pp. 3334–3360.
unedited draft is available as “A Review of Field
Computation,” UT EECS Dept. TR UT-CS-07-606, Oct. 31,
- “Analog Computation,” invited by Section Editor for
Unconventional Computing, Encyclopedia of Complexity and
System Science, ed. by Robert A. Meyers et al.,
Springer, 2009, part 1, entry 19, pp. 271–294. DOI
An unedited draft is available as “A Review of Analog
Computing,” UT EECS Dept. TR-CS-07-601, Sept. 13, 2007. [pdf]
- “Evolutionary Psychology, Complex Systems, and Social
Theory,” Soundings: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Vol.
XC, No. 3–4, pp. 169–89. Extended, unedited draft [pdf].
- “Consciousness: Natural and Artificial,” Synthesis Philosophica 22, 2 (2008), pp. 401–33.
Invited for special issue on consciousness. [pdf]
- “Protophenomena: The Elements of Consciousness and their
Relation to the Brain,” invited for Irreducibly Conscious:
Selected Papers on Consciousness, ed. by Alexander
Batthyány, Avshalom Elitzur & Dimitri Constant, Heidelberg
& New York: Universitätsverlag Winter, 2008, ch. X (pp.
189–214), in press. [pdf]
- “Self-Organization for Nano-Computation and
Nano-Assembly,” Workshop on Emergent Behavior (WEB 07),
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, March 6–7,
2007. Slides for presentation [pdf (10.8 MB)]
- “Highly Programmable Matter & Generalized
Computation: Research in Reconfigurable Analog & Digital
Computation in Bulk Materials,” 1st AFRL Reconfigurable
Systems Workshop, Air Force Research Laboratory,
Albuquerque, NM, Feb. 14–15, 2007. Slides for
- “A Summary of the History of AI Before Computers,” UT CS
Dept. TR UT-CS-07-589, January 24, 2007 [pdf (225KB)]. This
report is an extended, unedited draft of an article to appear
in the Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology,
2nd Ed., ed. by Mehdi Khosrow-Pour, IGI Global, 2008,
- “The U-Machine: A Model of Generalized
Computation,” International Journal of Unconventional
Computing, in press. See also UT EECS Dept.
Technical Report UT-CS-06-587, Dec. 14, 2006. [pdf (3.4 MB)]
- “Aesthetics in Software Engineering,” UT CS Dept. TR
UT-CS-06-579, Nov. 2006. Extended draft of section 5 of
“Aesthetic Values in Technology and Engineering Design,” Philosophy
of Technology & Engineering Sciences, vol. 9 part
V.5 of Handbook of the Philosophy of Science (16
vols.), ed. by Dov Gabbay, Paul Thagard, & John Woods,
Elsevier Science, invited by editor. www.johnwoods.ca/HPS/.
[pdf (240 KB)]
- “Super-Turing or Non-Turing?” Slides for invited
presentation at International Interdisciplinary Workshop
on Future Trends in Hypercomputation, Sheffield UK,
11–13 September 2006. [pdf (72 KB)]
- “Making Meaning in Computers: Synthetic Ethology
Revisited,” Artificial Cognition Systems, ed. by
Angelo Loula, Ricardo Gudwin and Joâo Queiroz, Idea Group,
2006, ch. 9 (pp. 252–83). Unedited preprint available as
UT CS Dept. TR UT-CS-05-549, May 5, 2005; revised Nov. 1,
2006. [pdf (600 KB)]
- “Extending the Concept of Computation,” unpublished,
2005. [pdf (600 KB)]
- “Can Artificial Life Engender Real Understanding?”
Slides for Centripetals presentation, Oct. 20, 2005. [pdf (1.6 MB)]
- “Consciousness in Robots: The Hard Problem and Some Less
Hard Problems (Extended Version),” UT CS Dept. TR
UT-CS-05-553, May 15, 2005. [pdf
(820 KB)] Extended version of paper [pdf (400K)] presented at 14th
IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive
MacLennan / MacLennan@utk.edu
Last updated: 2016-04-11.