ECE692/599 Spring 2020: Fundamentals of Semiconductors
- 0. Syllabus (Uploaded 01/28/2020)
- 1. Introduction (Uploaded 01/28/2020): Raise questions like "Why semiconductors" to stimulate curiosity
- 2. Widely Used Concepts (Uploaded 01/28/2020): Ask more questions about familiar concepts
- 3. Quantum Mechanics Primer (Updated 02/18/2020): Understand QM in 3 weeks, no previous exposure required
- 4. Bands & Bonds (Updated 03/12/2020): Complementary pictures of solids
- 5. Charge Carriers (Updated 04/21/2020): How semiconductors conduct
- 6. Optical Properties of Semiconductors (Uploaded 04/24/2020): Let there be light!
- Homework 5 Answers (Uploaded 05/12/2020)
ECE635 Fall 2017: Advanced Semiconductor Devices
- ECE635 Note #1: Introduction (Updated 08/23/2017)
- ECE635 Note #2: pn Junction I (Updated 9/1/2017)
- ECE635 Note #3: pn Junction II and Schottky (Updated 9/1/2017)
- ECE635 Note #4: Quantum Mechanics Review/Overview I (Updated 09/07/2017)
- ECE635 Note #5: Quantum Mechanics Review/Overview II (Updated 09/11/2017)
- ECE635 Note #6: Solid State Physics I (Updated 09/14/2017)
- ECE635 Note #7: Solid State Physics II (Updated 10/03/2017)
- A classic paper on effective mass approximation (Uploaded 09/03/2012)
- ECE635 Note #8: MOSFETs (Updated 10/10/2017)
- A paper: Negative capacitance -- the way to beat 60 mV/dec? (Uploaded 10/10/2017)
- ECE635 Note #9: MOSFET high frequency performance & I-V characterization (Updated 10/10/2017)
- ECE635 Note #10: MOSFET scaling & Intro to nanoelectronics (Updated 10/17/2017)
- An article on III-V MOSFETs (Uploaded 10/01/2012)
- ECE635 Note #11: Other types of FETs (Updated 10/22/2017)
- ECE635 Note #12: TFTs (Updated 10/26/2017)
- ECE635 Note #13: BJTs (Updated 10/31/2017)
- ECE635 Note #14: Photonics (Updated 11/11/2017)
- ECE635 Note #15: Processing (Updated 11/27/2017)
Some of the notes below are a few years old. The course content will be updated and tailored to student backgrounds.
The objective is to provide students with in-depth understanding of device physics and a broad overview of advanced semiconductor device concepts. The review of semiconductor physics includes basic quantum mechanics; crystal structures, band structures, band structure modification by alloys, heterostructures, and strain; carrier statistics; and scattering, defects, phonons, mobility, transport in heterostructures. Device concepts to be covered are: MOSFETs, MESFETs, MODFETs, TFTs; heterojunction bipolar transistors (HBTs); and photodiodes, LEDs, and semiconductor lasers. Semiconductor processing will be briefly reviewed. Nanoelectronics will be introduced.
ECE692 Fall 2014: Introduction to Nanoelectronics
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Periodic Things
- 3. The Quantum World
- 4. An excursion to Lineland
- 5. Back to Flatland
Venue and Time: Min Kao 235, 12:05 - 2:05 pm every Thursday.
Reading assignment for the first two weeks:
1) Feynman's 1959 speech "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom." (This is a scanned copy of the original that appeared in the magzine Engineering and Science in 1960, with my marks and comments. You may find the speech online.) Read also the revisit of this speech by the journal Nature Nanotechnology.
2) The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol. III Sections 1-1 to 2-2. Stop at the middle of page 2-3, "... So we must talk about what we can predict," if you are not very proficient in optics. [The book is available online.]